Three Asians jailed and fined in theft case - GulfToday

Three Asians jailed and fined in theft case


Photo has been used for illustrative purpose.

Mohammed Yaseen, Staff Reporter

The Dubai Court of Appeal upheld a verdict issued by the Court of First Instance sentencing a gang of three Asians to one year in jail to be followed by deportation and fining them Dhs130,000 on charges of stealing the same amount of the fine from a shipping company.

The case dated back to last May when an investor filed a complaint that his company located in Al Quoz Industrial Area had been robbed. He stated that as soon as he arrived at his workplace, he discovered that the window of his office had been broken, the company’s contents had been scattered and an iron safe containing Dhs130,000,  an employee’s passport and documents related to commercial transactions had disappeared.

A policeman stated in the investigations that a team of detectives arrived at the site and gathered inferences that led to the arrest of one of the suspects in the theft. After being arrested, the suspect admitted that he and two other fellow men planned to rob the shipping company and kept monitoring it in order to set the right time to do so. The suspect led the detectives to the other suspects, who were arrested and Dhs64,000 was seized from one of them who said it was his share of the stolen money.

He also admitted that at 4am he went with the other two suspects to the scene, where he was assigned to watch the place while another broke the window of the company and stole the small safe with the help of the other suspect. The safe was later broken by an electric cutter and they stole the money they found there and threw away the safe and the documents.

Separately, the Dubai Court of Appeal upheld the ruling of the Court of First Instance to imprison two Arabs for 6 months, to be followed by deportation  after serving their sentences. The court fined the two suspects Dhs3,000 after they were charged with robbing an Asian girl whom one of them knew through a social networking programme.

The case dates back to September 2021, when an Asian girl filed a report stating that she had been forcibly robbed after being threatened with death inside her home.

Related articles